Monday 20 August 2012

Women

This post has been brewing in me for quite some time now and it has finally reached the pinnacle for it to put pen to paper.

See, it started from my years in university...I started my (mechanical) engineering degree at Melb Uni from 1999. I was in the minority. I was the 1% of females who started (and finished) the course from 1999-2002/03. I never felt alienated as I got along (and still do) better with males than females but I felt the pressure that I needed to prove to people around me that I am capable of not only getting through uni but also surviving in a male dominated environment. Looking back, I would say that I have excelled in my studies as I graduated with honors. But would it have been sufficient if I just graduated with a plain Bachelor of Engineering?

I have worked in two engineering firms since I have graduated. One was a multidisciplinary engineering consultancy company with over 700 employees just in Melbourne with little to no exposure beyond my cubicle walls. My current role is in a 150+ staff consultancy company but my daily work involves consultancy with clients (developers, engineers, architects) and builders. Out of the 9 years I have been working as an engineer, I have only had a small handful of sexist comments regarding my female intelligence and ability. Comments have ranged from "What would you know, you are just a girl" through to "This is a man's world, no place for you". Actions also speak louder than words. I have had meetings where guys refuse to look at me when we are in meetings through to cutting me off halfway to tell me off about my attitude (as it was no lady like - or they feel that I am emasculating them on purpose). To be honest, these comments always got to me. I never cried in the meeting or in front of anyone but when I have had time to calm down and reflect, I always broke down. I cried not because I am weak (on the contrary), I cried because my heart breaks that people out there still feel that women are not able (or not allowed) to be strong and play a man's game.

A few incidents have happened within the last month or so which brought up these feelings.

1) Without going into too much detail and history - please refer to these two blogs about the incident which occurred over the weekend with a cycling clothing company called Limitless Performance. SheRidesCyling and CyclingTips - both blogs have posts about the said video.

2) Certain people referring to the opposition's team as girls - using girls/females/women as a derogatory noun - e.g. "Come on (insert my team), fix up these bunch of girls called (Insert other team)....Don't like it tough you girls...." on social media.

3) A group of cyclist stopped at the lights (I was in the car next to them) and when the lights turned green, the leader called out "Come on ladies! Stop wasting time and lets go!" - Are they suggesting that girls waste time? Why do they have to use the word ladies in this as it would only refer to something negative.

4) The Australian women basketball team travelled to London Olympics in economy class whilst the men travelled in business. Womens' basketball team ended up with bronze medal for 2012 (having won silver in the last 3 Olympics)...they flew back to Aus in business class but would they have been bumped up if they didn't prove that they are good at their sport? For the next Olympics at Rio, will they have to fly economy again until they earned their place or will the organisers realise this before it is brought up again?

The Olympics just passed - Australian female triathletes performed (much) better than the men with two Australian females in top 10 position (with one winning bronze) compared to the Men's team. Female swimmers received more medals than (the more outspoken) men's team. Australian females received more medals and were placed higher compared to the men. Mind you, I am not saying that women are better at those sports than men, my point is that we have excelled and will continue to do so as many of us still have to prove our worth/place.

I look up to athletes in general but I especially admire female athletes such as Cathy Freeman, Chrissie Wellington just to name a few. Chrissie Wellington is someone whom I look up to as her achievements are closer to home - she is a triathlete. She has not only come 1st for females but she has also come top 10 for the entire professional field for several of her races. Her worst performance was 22nd for an Olympic distance. There is no denying that a female will not win the Ironman World Championships but how many men did she have to beat before she is considered as a triathlete rather than a female triathlete? The tag of being female puts us in a field of not as good but good enough.

Open up the paper and go to the sports section - there is little to no coverage of any female sports - it is not because we are not out there doing something but because the general population who read these sections are not interested in female's achievements, they don't consider female sports as real sports. The Tour de France is one example of the (lack of) coverage of females in sport - did you know that there is a female equivalent of the Tour de France? This race was cancelled in 2011 due to lack of sponsorship and the whole who gives a crap about a token female staged race when there is an awesome men's one...

Another note about women in sports....do we REALLY have to be sexualised before we are noticed? Does a female triathlete/cyclist/basketball player/sailor really have to appear half naked for the public to know that they exist?

Bike manufacturers/brands carry a very limited range for females - they put it down to supply and demand. And when they do it's a token female range and often vomited with pink. Mind you, I have favoured a hint of pink here and there (this has personally been a gradual progress and did not overnight) - you either embrace it or you detest all the pink shit that's out there to cater for females. In summary - because there are not as many females demanding it therefore the range of bikes suitable for the females are limited.

This is not across 100% of the brands out there but often the female range would come in shit or average group set and are Worlds behind what is available in the men's range. From my personal experience, I needed a (very) small bike - the best I could get (from this brand) was a SRAM Rival (with the 105 being the lower end) but the men's range gave 5 options ranging from 105 through to Dura-Ace Di2... Now, people would say, why don't you just buy the men's bike, well I would if I could but the smallest they have is a 52cm and I needed 47/48cm. Are females not deserving enough to be able to buy an awesome bike off the shelf? Do we have to prove that we are good enough, get sponsored and then have the rights to ride a good bike? (That's probably an over reaction but you get the point).

I really didn't have an aim about this entry, it was more of my thoughts/opinions/observations....I just want all women to never consider themselves as the weaker sex and never use that excuse for not trying out new sports and reaching their goals. I also want the greater public to acknowledge that women are doing incredible things, we are working side by side with men and we are not weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment