Thursday 9 August 2012

Journey to Race Weight

Just thought I would give a little update to my journey of reaching my race weight...

This morning, I weighed myself and to my surprise (at the numbers) that I am below 58kg (at 57.9kg). I have not seen my weight below 58+kg in a while (prob about 6 years) so since this morning's weigh-in, I have been walking on cloud 9. My race weight is not just about the scales but also measurements and I have noticed a vast reduction in my problem area (stomach) and also my chest.

What have I done to achieve this? Since my reality check at Lorne Camp 2012, I am tracking my calorie intake and output using MyFitnessPal.

During Build Weeks
I have watched what I ate to ensure that I am able to load up my body with the training demands of up to 15 hours a week, whilst at the same time, making sure that I am not stuffing my face from being hungry after training sessions. I am fueling and feeding my body with what it actually needs rather than what I feel like eating. I am taking in recovery foods after demanding sessions such as runs/windtrainer and bike rides whilst taking in the correct amount of energy during these sessions.

During Recovery Weeks
As my training load decreases during recovery weeks (down to about 8-10 hours), I make sure that my calorie intake is also reduced to reflect this. I also give my body a better chance in recovery by sleeping more hours (and sleeping in until 7am rather than 4:30am).

Mind you, I don't have the diet of a rabbit.
  • I eat as much fresh foods as I can as I do cook my own meals most of the time.
  • I enjoy coffee and drink up to 2 cups of coffee a day (6 days a week) with full cream milk (no sugar)
  • I don't drink alcohol. 
  • I drink 2-3 litres of water a day.
  • I consume a can of softdrink every fortnight (if any).
  • I still eat chocolate (but making sure that it is within Build Week)
  • I have cut out lollies (the jelly ones, my fave)
  • I have introduced coconut oil into my diet (replacing olive oil when cooking)
  • I have cut down on my red meat intake to only 2 meals at most per week - replaced it with fish, white meats or just eggs.
  • When eating out, as much as I can, I try to replace the chips with either mashed potato or double servings of vegetables/salad
  • I always drink at least a full tall glass of water with every meal
Ideally, I would like to reach my goal weight of 55kg by the time I race Noosa (87 days) and maintain for Shepparton (in 101 days) at the rate of 1kg per month by end of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment