Wednesday 29 August 2012

THE LOTTERY!!!

So....the last 24 hours of my life have been a whirlwind of emotions - highs and lows.

See, I entered the Geelong Long Course race for February 2013 around June of this year. As part of that entry, USM had 50 slots into IM Melbourne for March 2013. Yesterday, I received an email from USM confirming that I had received one of the 50 slots and I have a chance to race Ironman Melbourne in March 2013. First, I thought it was a huge joke and maybe I should wait for others (on facebook) to post something and then having USM write me another email apologising for the IT glitch. I generally don't win things unless I am 100% about what I am entering (such as the awards I have won for my work in the Sustainability). I had to read the email about 10 times to actually take in what had just happened.

Mind you - this is NOT a free entry into IMMelb. This is a slot lottery and you still have to pay the entry fee into this event. It is also not a scholarship or sponsorship. You just get a chance to participate in a sold out event.

After I sent the photo of my email to a few friends and family and (only) when I received some positive feedback from family, I then decided to post the lottery slot on facebook as part of my status.

I had my heart set on racing IMMelb 2013 as a team (I would do the swim and run) but when USM confirmed that there will be no team entries for 2013 earlier this year, I then cemented on the idea of racing Ironman Melb in 2014. I even started to save up for the entry fee (they are NOT cheap)...A small (good but unexpected) spanner in the works, with a lottery slot into IMMelb 2013, I had to take some time to think things through (logically, not emotionally) about this.
  • As of the day of the email (28th Aug 2012) - I had 208 days left until IMMelb. This meant that not only am I training for my first half ironman 82 days, I am also going to be training for my first Ironman 17 weeks later. I have been consistent with my training over all 3 legs of the triathlon with great feedback from coaches about my progress. If I am to stay on this path and progress incrementally (smartly) I have enough weeks between now and then to build up to the 3.8km swim, 180km ride and a marathon. I am not going to ramp up my training in anyway outside of the prescribed program - I will train for this race logically.
  • I will not be running a marathon before the 24th March. IM Melbourne will be my first official marathon (if I finish the 3.8km swim and 180km ride first). I am actually not stressed about this. The IMMelb run course was magnificent - aid stations every 2km with plenty of ppl to cheer you on along the way. Currently on track for my half marathon in October with a goal of < 120min.
  • Can I afford it? The entry fee is $825. With a significant amount of money owing on the new bike and bills to pay - do I have the luxury of putting my paycheck into this single race. I guess it is up to me to manage my funds - try harder to sell the Felt, do my 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 tax return asap, manage gas & electricity bills, consolidate phone/internet/iPad package (currently 80/50/30 per month) - get a better budget.
  • Am I able to squeeze in extra training with my lifestyle - currently sans uni studies, family (kids), stressful job....yes I can. So far I have been balancing my training with my work well. I see my friends and family when I can and because I don't have any dependents, it is much more easier to do than others (with family).
So when I get my next paycheck, I will pay $825 for my entry into IMMelbourne 2013 and join the thousands of men and women who will be swimming 3.8km at Frankston pier, riding 180km along Eastlink and running 42.2 from Frankston to St Kilda on the 24th March 2013.

This shit is about to get real!

No comments:

Post a Comment