Monday 2 April 2012

Doing it for the Kids - A Race Report

So yesterday was my 4th Run for the Kids 14.38km run. I beat my previous year's time by over 5min (close to the 6min mark). It may be around the 1:26 mark (according to my Garmin) and I will wait for the official time in the paper on Tuesday.

Even though my run didn't start until 9:15, I had to arrive around 8am for the Team Layla photo shoot. Remembering the hectic traffic and the time it takes to find a car spot, I left the house at 6:45am to try and find a car spot by 7:30am. I ended up finding one of the very last few free spots available around 7:15 - a whole 45minutes early.


I received a short sleeve shirt to wear on the day but when scissors were handed around if anyone wanted to cut their sleeves (most people received a long sleeve shirt), I opted to cut my sleeves off and wear it as a singlet. I decided that instead of placing my bag in the storage area, I was just going to run with my keys and leave my bag in the car so I can just leave after the run was finished - best idea!

I decided to take a Shotz Wild Bean gel about 15min before the run start for the initial kick of energy as I had my regular smoothie for breakfast that morning. The line for the toilets were (once again) stupidly long so I was so glad I went to the ones off the side street rather than in the park. This is my first run without music. Ever since the Run Technique lessons with Tony Benson, I have not done any running with my ipod and I am actually enjoying it. He made a great point that when you have music, your rhythm is off (cadence) and you lose concentration on your technique. I have to say, ever since I have parked the ipod to my speakers and not used them in my runs, I have improved on my running in folds. I concentrate on my own pace, my technique and ensure that my body does not laze when it is hurting.

The first few kms of the run is always interesting. I actually stayed on the left of the run so that the faster people can overtake me but I found myself overtaking many people. When we ran through the tunnel, I actually found my pace increase and was weaving through the crowds too. Having done this course 3 times previously, I knew where the drink stations were so I was relieved that there was one coming up after the Burnley tunnel. I remember in preivous years that in between the 3km through to the 6km mark, all the guys run off to the side of the road for a toilet stop and this year was no different. It was actually quiet disgusting to see all the men peeing against the side of the road. After the tunnel, it was then onto the West Gate bridge. This course starts to get quiet undulating and the elevation goes up and then back down. Remembering there is a drink station before the Bolte bridge entrance, I washed my face with a cup of water to cool down as it was getting sweaty.

The Bolte Bridge is amazing! I did slow down a bit as running with activated calves (up hill) for about 1km was tiring. Going down was a different matter and this is when I took my second gels for the day as it was around the 45min mark. The run through Docklands was intersting as the route was more cramped than the previous years. Many people cheated around these areas and cut through the park. I say cheat as they are taking a shortcut but it is not like they were achieving anything out of it...you are running with 15000+ people. After Docklands, there is another hill which is up Collins St. Once again, I struggled up this hill as it was around the 12km mark and my legs were burning like lava was through my blood. After the hill, it was straight along Southbank, up Flinders St and onto St Kilda Rd to the finish line in the park. I was running in front of a pair of guys running the entire way in Bananas in Pyjamas outfits which had the whole crowd cheering which made my run more interesting. Kids were cheering and it made me smile the entire way.

The last 1km to the finish chute was great. People were cheering and waiting for their loved ones to run through. Once I crossed the finish line, pressed stop on my Garmin, I walked directly to my car to drive to St Kilda to watch the presentations, take team photo and help unpack the TA Taj. I think it is important to make an appearance as a coach at triathlon events. People appreciate the support too.

Run for the Kids is definitely a great course and event to do. I am devastated that next year 2013, the Run for the Kids will be held on the same day as Ironman Melbourne which means that I will be either volunteering at IMMelbourne or I will be doing the 3.8km swim and the marathon as part of a team. Devastated that I wont be part of the R4K event in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment