Thursday 22 March 2012

You are better than you think you are...

Tonight, Tri Alliance was treated to an evening with Joe Gambles (supported by Ascend Sports) then there was a small presentation by Dax Stanley, one of the guys who trains with us.

I enjoyed both presentations but I could relate to Dax's story more than Joe's. Joe would be one of the guys who had always been good at sports, competitive and will only compete in a race if he knew he would podium. Joe is an elite athlete, he is sponsored. Dax on the other hand, only started triathlons 3 years ago to lose weight and get fit. He use to weigh over 100kg and only started to watch for his weight due to 'fear'. Fear is something which Dax brought up this evening as one of the motivators in his life. Doing triathlons and losing weight because his fear at that time was about being there for his son. Now he is raising money for his ironman in support of colitis which is what his wife Amanda has. Although Dax is sponsored in small ways, he still has a full time.

Which brings me to the most lightbulb moment of the evening. There is definitely pressure in being a full time athlete which many age group triathlete out there don't realize. Many people just want to quit their job and just train and race. When you take things into the real world, no brand want to associate themselves to someone who won't be winning races as their competitors names are being seen by winners, not average triathlete. If you don't have a good race, there is a pressure that the sponsorships can be withdrawn. You also have to pick the races which will bring your sponsorship the biggest exposure. Forget your small no name, no media and fun triathlons. You have to race with big name (fast) triathlete as they are the ones that attract the money.

I guess that is what I have always said about mixing money with your hobbies. A hobby is no longer a hobby if money is brought into it and it no longer becomes fun and thats when you enjoy it less which eventuates to you moving onto the next hobby. I guess I am still enjoying triathlon and it is also part hobby/part using it to maintain a good weight. There is no way I am want to be a professional as one, I know that there is no way I am fast or good enought to be a professional and secondly, I don't think a professional triathlete lifestyle is for me. I like being 'home' and having my dog with me. Being a professional triathlete would not only require an increased load in training but you have to constantly prove to your sponsors that you are worthy of their money. I am doing triathlons for me and not for someone else. That's the most important thing.

To cap this entry off, Dax said something which will remain with me for my build towards Shep.

"You are better than what you think" with this quote, I will now consider myself as a triathlete - which is something which I have never thought I deserve the title of.

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!




No comments:

Post a Comment