Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Race

On the 30th Jan 2012, I registered to do my first half ironman event. This event is a sanctioned 70.3 ironman event at Shepparton on the 18th November 2012. For those who are not familiar to what this event is (or even what a triathlon is about), there will be 3 main legs.

The Swim - The race starts with a 1.9km swim. For many, the swim is the hardest part of doing a triathlon as (for me personally) the hardest to learn as the sport is very technical. In 2008, when I did my first triathlon as part of the Brooks Fun Tri (now commonly known as Active Feet Fun Tri) organized as part of the Supersprint series, I trained so hard to just do 300m in open water. Since joining Tri Alliance, I am more confident in the water as I am more aware of technique and what is required to be a more efficient swimmer. A full ironman swim leg is 3.8km swim. I have swam close to this distance as part of the Jalna Big Bay swim from Port Melbourne to Williamstown on 26th Feb 2012 of 3.2km.

The Bike - the halfironman ride is a 90km time trial ride. What is the difference between an ordinary 90km and one which you have to do for a triathlon? For a triathlon, you have to ride your own race. You are not able to draft off another triathlete and you have to ride fast on your own fuel and determination. I have ridden several distances over 90km before but never on a tri bike (always on road bike) and never had to do a half marathon afterwards. This brings me to the next (and last) leg of a triathlon.

The Run - the last part of a half ironman triathlon is the 21.1km run off the bike. I have done 2 half marathon runs in my life and both were done in 2010. As part of my build towards my half ironman, I will be doing several running events during the winter training season which includes 10km Run Melbourne, Perth City to Surf and the half marathon as part of the Melbourne Marathon running festival. My aim for this half marathon to be done in October is below the magical 2hour mark.

The total half ironman distance must be achieved within 7 hours. I am aiming to be as close to 6.5 hours as I can.

Swim < 00:50
Ride < 03:30
Run < 2:30

My demon which I have to overcome will be my running ability. 2011 was a terrible year for me, my legs and the ability for my to run. I was injured 7 days prior to Run Melbourne due to overloading and poor technique and I have had a few set backs even after Noosa 2011 due to shin splints.

It is not just the care I need to take when it comes to running which I need to be aware of, it is also my enthusiasm for running which is nothing - compare my swimming and cycling. This is something which I need to learn to enjoy. I guess I will love running when I see myself actually being good at it and also achieving the goals I have set out to tick off my bucket list.

For the moment, I need to set some time aside for my first running event for 2012-2013 which is the 14.38km Run for the Kids which is on the 1st April 2012 which is also the same day as Tough Mudder Melbourne and the last triathlon for the season at St Kilda.

No comments:

Post a Comment