Friday 30 March 2012

Timing is Everything...

As Tri Alliance manned two drink stations as part of IMMelbourne, we were provided with two entries into any IM races in Australia for 2012-2013 - this included IMWA in Busselton 2012 (sold out) IMAus at Port Macquarie and IM Melbourne which opens its entries today 30th March at 11am.

The "Golden Ticket" lottery was available to all Tri Alliance members and if you volunteered, you get a double chance into the draw. I entered into the lottery. Why? Why not?! This is not a scholarship which is given to an athlete who deserves it most, it is a lottery. Tri Alliance did make it clear that you only enter if you are serious about the training loads and about the dedication you need to have to do this event. I am a dedicated person and would be humbled to have won the ticket (for IM Melbourme) and would put my honest heart and soul into training for this. I even said to a few of the girls in the squad - if I get it, it would be awesome, if I dont, its a sign that I am not ready.

The draw occured this morning at 9am and the winners were Alex and Andy from the squad. Even though this is a lottery and not a scholarship - I would still say that they are both deserving winners. Great guys!

As for me - I would love to enter as a relay team for IM Melbourne 2013. I would love to do the 3.8km swim and the 42.2km marathon. Just need to find someone to do the 180km bike ride in between the swim and the run! I think entries for relay team open later in the year so would be good to assess then. I would have done 2 half marathons (October for Melbourne Marathon and as part of the Shep 70.3 halfironman) - IM Melbourne is 12 weeks (or so) from Shep. A marathon should be do-able.

IM Melbourne for 2014 is definitely on the cards. If everything goes to plan, I would like see if these are on the horizon over the next 12-18 months:

Noosa 2012 - Confirmed
Shepparton 70.3 2012 - Confirmed
Geelong Long Course 2013
Singapore 70.3 17th March 2013

I would love to do a race overseas and not too far from home so thats why I chose Singapore 70.3. I know family there and it would be a great environment to race (hot & humid). Hawaii 70.3 would be an awesome race to do as it is in a similiar location to the Kona Ironman course but the amount of money needed for this event is too much. Flights $3000 - $5000, accomodation $100-$200 per night and living allowances would mean that I would have to save $5000 - $10,000 for a race. Singapore would be much cheaper and in an environment which I am very comfortable with. It would also be a great spot for my family to support (mum & dad may be able to go back to Malaysia on their way through and Kai being in Perth).

Before I forget - I purchased my ROADID today. I highly recommend everyone to buy (and wear it) when you are out on your bike or even on your run. It has proven to be a great asset by Michelle from my squad when she fell off her bike 3 weeks ago. When the ambulance came, they knew her name and her medical details.

Just as I type the final words of this entry - IMMelbourne 2013 sold out in less than 5min.

No comments:

Post a Comment