Monday 26 March 2012

Lessons Learnt

Yesterday, 25th March 2012 was the inaugural Ironman Melbourne. Ironman is the "true" triathlon distance of 3.8km swim, 180km ride and a 42.2km run. As part of this event, Tri Alliance were manning 2 drink station along the run course. The first was Mentone at the 22km mark and the second was at the 38km mark at Elwood. I was at Mentone from 11am onwards helping to set up and manned the "food" station from about 12 - 6pm. My shift was suppose to be from 12:30-4:30 but it was hard to leave the station as the triathletes were going through, I just didn't want to miss out on anything - its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Many people have a goal of doing an ironman distance triathlon one day. Yes I have to admit that it has been in my mind before when I first saw the Ironman event on ESPN when I was in my teens. It was only when I did my first swim in the pool, my first ride on a bike or even my first ever proper run did I realise how hard doing an ironman distance actually is.

My longest triathlon distance to date is an Olympic Distance which is a 1.5km swim, 40km ride finishing off with a 10km run. I have done 2 of this distance triathlon before. The first being at Noosa 2011 (no wetsuit swim, hot and humid conditions with one steep hill), the second being at Geelong Feb 2012 (long 1.8km wetsuit swim, hard undulating ride and a hilly run). My next distance goal is my half ironman at Shep 70.3 - 1.9km swim, 90km ride and 21.1km run.

Before doing an ironman distance, personally, I would need to do at least 2 half ironman distances (or long course equivalent) which includes one race overseas. I would really love to do my first ironman distance in Melbourne. Doing the Ironman distance in Melbourne has its advantages which outweighs its disadvantages:

  • Knowing the course - its terrain, wind directions, temperatures
  • Having friends and family close by to support throughout the day
  • Little to no additional money needed to be saved apart from the $800+ or so for registration - no airfares, no accommodation, little to no living expenses needed
With such an epic event to go through, the last thing you want to do is worried about the unknown. 

Doing a triathlon race is as much about the mental battles to get through this event and not just how your body can physically get through 14+ hours (this is the time I estimate my ironman). I must first get through my goal of my half ironman and embrace the journey along the way - it will be tough, no doubt about it.

I think if everything goes according to plan and I still have my health and my body is able - an ironman will be a goal to tick off. I know that my body will not be ready for Ironman Melbourne 2013 - 362 days will not prepare me for an ironman. Maybe it will be (near) possible in 2014 but will this goal be too early to achieve? To some - they say yes, you can do anything if you put your mind to it, believe in yourself, believe in your dreams. To the realist, the perfectionist, the logical - I will need time to train my body to do the distances, I will need to prepare mentally to overcome the fear of failure and fear of injuries.

Yesterday during the 15 hours I was out there volunteering and supporting, it was the most incredible experience I have ever had in my life. I see the pro (professional triathletes) come through, they didn't even look like they were in any pain whatsoever through to the average joe and jane who signed up and with the sheer determination, wanted to finish this race within 17 hours and call themselves ironman. It was amazing. I had so much fun yesterday helping people out in the run leg and handing out lollies and bananas. It was amazing seeing the people I know through Tri Alliance go through this event. It was also mind blowing that Ollie has his place now at Kona, its going to be an amazing year ahead for the club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment