Friday 7 August 2015

Stressing for Sandy



Sandy Point half marathon is 16 days away and I am absolutely engulfed in an ocean of anxiety. The last few weeks haven’t been great. 

Work has started to pick up so I have had to spend more of my energy into it and by the end of the day, I am so tired and my sessions have been inconsistent and crude. I have been sick with both fatigue and a (common) cold. The fatigue started last Saturday 1st Aug when I was struck down with something which made my heart rate beat strong and fast, painful migraines and throbbing legs. Then on Tuesday 4th my cold started and I was in bed for days. 

I am stressing out as this weekend is suppose to be my pinnacle distance before I taper off next weekend and the actual event the week after.  I wasn’t able to run 20km last weekend due to being sick, I planned out a 3 x loop and could only finish one before my feet cramped, vision blurred and my heart felt like it was about to leap out passed my tongue and my pace was well over 6min/km. 

I know I can bring myself over 21km but I am stressing about the pace. I need to be running at an average of 5:20min/km to be < 2 hours. I might need to reassess my goals closer to the date but I just really really really want to achieve this just one more time. The World doesn’t end if I don’t make this but it will just eat me up inside for another year like it has previously for the last 2 years. I don’t have anyone to blame but myself – I have not been consistent in training and I tend to go “easy on myself” rather than push beyond my comfort zone as I hate feeling the pain and being injured. 

Fingers crossed that I get to do some form of running training this weekend and from next week, I will be able to tick off the small goals I have set for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment