Friday 15 May 2015

Looking for Fondo

This Sunday (17th May), I will be participating in my 2nd Dirty Gran Fondo (event). I am yet to be fit enough to enter the actual Gran Fondo (90km) so for now, I am happy at riding the shorter distances.

I have written about my first event last year where I entered the 35km. It was my first off road event and with minimal skills, I was happy I got through considering it was a day made for ducks.

I have spent about 20 or so hours on the mountain bike since that event in 2014. Why?
  • I fell on my face/head with concussion during a CX skills session in June. Wasn't able to swim/ride/run for 4 weeks.
  • Went on 8 weeks long service leave August - September.
  • Rode the TT bike since my return from holidays in preparation for the triathlon season of November 2014 through to Feb 2015. 
My bike skills are yet to improve to a level where I can ride the CX bike for this event. I will stick with the mountain bike for now and this Sunday, I have signed up for the 65km. My rider number is 413. Funny enough, last year, my number was 414.

2014 Baby Fondo - James Taylor Photography

 A few lessons learnt from last year which I will take on board for this weekend include:
  • I will start out wearing an old jumper/jacket during the briefing but will remove it when I ride. Lesson learnt from last year - I wore a rain jacket last year as it was raining but I got too hot and removed the jacket after riding only 1km or so. The weather this weekend is looking good although the roads will be muddy due to the crazy weather we had. 
  • Remember to hydrate on the bike. 
  • If it's raining and muddy, what you see at the end of the ride amongst your chamois is not sh!t - don't be alarmed. 
  • Bring extra towels, all the toiletries, warm clothing and extra food - after the event, I can take a proper shower, put on warm clothes and eat whilst I wait for others to finish. 
  • Bring extra cash - buy a burger from the local club.
  • Don't forget that this is a FUN event - don't forget to smile, you never know when the cameras are present. 
If you are reading this blog post and have also entered, don't hesitate to say hello!Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment