Monday 23 September 2013

Weekly Reflection 16/09 - 22/09

Favourite session of the week: My long run on Sunday was a session I enjoyed the most this week. I did a solo run as we had a coaches up-skill thing which started at 10am and I needed to get prepped up as we had some photos being taken too. Left the house at 7am and ran around the Mentone/Mordialloc and then towards Brighton. As I was running solo, I decided that I was going to push myself on this run outside of my comfortable zone as I needed to run at a faster pace in a few weeks time (when I run my half marathon as part of Melbourne Marathon festival).

I did a negative split and pushed myself harder on the way home and I ended up running 18km in about 1:45. I am still starting out pretty slowly as it takes a while for my body to warm up and also it rained on me for most of the way home. I like to think that that session for me was a win  as I am not the most disciplined person when I am running by myself and I did go beyond my comfort zone.

Least favourite session of the week: This is not really a session which I enjoyed the least but I regret that I didn't push myself harder in my swim TT on Wednesday 18th. I did manage a time below 20min (19:58) with tumble turns and all but I didn't feel that I went beyond my comfort zone.

Advice of the week: We had a team meeting on Saturday. It was a session with all athletes doing long course training to listen to the coaches about the current and next stage of training. We spoke about the differences between someone who has a race pre Christmas and someone who has Ironman Melb as their main A race with Geelong/Challenge Melb as their one lead-in race. Coach Ollie spoke about how athletes should be talking openly to coaches about their progress and provide as much feedback about how they are going as possible. This is the only way the (head) coaches are able to know what program people are to be training on.



We touched on the next phase on the bike where we will be riding on our TT bikes instead of strength work on the hills. I may spend some time on the TT doing some hills as this was something which I found to be lacking in last year's program, we will gauge and see.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: This is really non-triathlon related but I am freaking (like.....really really) excited about going to the AFL Grand Final this Saturday - Hawthorn (my team) playing against a WA team Fremantle. The Friday night game between Hawks v Cats was a rippa! It was such a close game between these two rivals. My heart rate was so high that I had a spew during the last 15min of the game as we came back from 20pts down to be in the lead. I should have worn my heart rate monitor as I reckon it went through the roof!

The Grand Final game will start at 2pm on Saturday but I think we may be heading in early for the entertainment part too. I will most likely do an early training session (as I want to keep the consistency) and may ride out from my house early (say 5am) so I can be home by 9-10am.

On a training note, I am going to see how my body (and mind) will cope with a full week of training. It is the last week of September so I should start to incorporate double (run-ride) Tuesday and Thursdays and see how I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment