Monday 16 September 2013

Weekly Reflection 09/09 - 15/09

Favourite session of the week: I haven't done a run session at the Tan with the City group in many months. I thought I would join them for a change as it takes me only 30min to get home instead of 50min (from Essendon).

The warm up was an anti-clockwise loop of the Tan from the trough to the bottom of Anderson St. I was comfortable in my run albeit slightly faster than my comfortable pace. I was still able to talk but only short sentences. The main set was 2 x 2km, 2 x 1km, 2 x 500m and 2 x 250m.

I ran with a small group of people from the squad and found myself being quiet comfortable running at their pace. I lifted my knees high for the hills and I didn't feel too tired or sore. The session was great as I was never left behind trying to keep up with the group and I pushed beyond my comfort zone.

The second session which I enjoyed was my long ride on Saturday (by myself). I had planned on riding out at the Dandenongs but due to the extra sleep I needed, I decided to just ride Beach Rd late the morning as the Dandenongs gets quiet busy with cars later in the day. I left the house at about 10:30am and decided to just ride South instead of heading to Port Melbourne first. The ride down towards Frankston was not too bad. I did have a string of bad luck as I had to stop at each one of the traffic lights as they all turned red before Seaford. I was pretty much just out on the roads all by myself and had only 2 people pass me before Frankston. The ride down Main St was busy with people and I had to come to a complete stop maybe 10 times due to pedestrian crossings and roundabouts. I realised that I hadn't ridden down this far since early March of this year. Oliver's Hill seemed steeper than usual, the time it took to reach BP at Safety Beach seemed shorter.

I did get attacked by magpies when I turned around to head back home. My head was knocked 3 times by the same bird. At first I thought it was some douche who threw a rock at my head but I quickly realised the douche was a magpie and the thumping sound was its beak at my helmet.


I really enjoyed those two session as I actually felt like I was training and didn't feel sluggish or unfit. I had some level of confidence being out there running and riding.

Least favourite session of the week: My long run on Sunday wasn't the best. There were no coached sessions so we had to complete our training by ourselves. I had 19km on the program and decided that I would just run from my house towards the city and see how far 10km would take me. Turns out 10km was around Brighton (in front of Milanos). The run towards the city was good. I ran on the right hand side so I could see the oncoming traffic of cyclists and cars. After about 15km, I started to fatigue out. Maybe this came about from my ride the day before, maybe it was all mental as I was running without the squad.

Something was up with my heart rate monitor as it was registering that I my heart rate was 230+ and I was only burning about 300Cal/hour. I didn't notice the timing and didn't consume my nutrition at the right times. The first at 35min (right time) and the 2nd at the 1:20 mark (way too late). I tried as hard as I could to push out the last 5km but it was mentally and physically tough.  I was glad I got out the door for my run though.

Advice of the week: Experiment with nutrition in the off season. I am trying out different brands of gels and isotonic drinks at the moment to gauge which ones I like and which ones I won't touch. I figured, it is still the off-season and I should see how other products work now. I have been using Torq gels during my rides and I am in favour of the "black cherry yoghurt" and "strawberry yoghurt" flavours, not too much "forest fruits".

I am a big fan of variety in flavours now so I won't be using the flasks this season (I don't think).

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: Recovery week is back! I do have several work commitments which will see me missing out on several training sessions including windtrainer on Tuesday and my Thursday night run session. I am hoping to "make up" for these sessions by doing Tuesday morning run and Thursday morning ride. We also have the last swim time trial on Wednesday which I am looking forward to do. I am going to try and incorporate as many tumble turns as I can as I have been practicing them during my swim training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment