Tuesday 3 September 2013

Green Smoothie

In order to reduce my body fat % and to try and get a better balance between nutritional food as compared to training food, I have been changing a few things in my "diet". I have stopped drinking Up n Gos, reduced my reliance on grain-rich carbohydrates (for energy), spent less on packaged foods and increased the amount of vegetables and green food intake.

I have started on my green smoothie as part of my quick/easy/healthy meal replacement when I am in a rush or when I need to take in some food before I drive home after training. So far, I have discovered that I need to plan well ahead and may need to bring a few appliances into work to prepare ahead of time. I don't follow a set recipe however I do have guidelines. I don't remember where I got this from, most likely a post on social media:

1) Green Vegetable - I have been using either kale or spinach (or sometimes both) as my green base. Adding a teaspoon of vital greens into this smoothie does not make it green, it an added bonus but I don't count eating a teaspoon of vital greens as enough vegetables/greens as sufficient daily intake.

2) Fruit - I choose either half a (large) banana or an apple, pear (skin on for both), peaches etc - I limit this to one serving as I will have my next serving of fruit during the day. I always remember that this is a predominantly a vege smoothie and not a fruit smoothie.

3) Yogurt - plain - about 2-3 tablespoons. I am currently obsessed with Chobani. If I don't have Chobani, I will always have whole milk yoghurts and never low fat.

4) Coconut water or plain tap water - I sometimes will use milk but only if I will be consuming it straight away. I am yet to try other forms of liquids such as tea or non-dairy milks such as almond or soy. I am not a fan of many non-dairy milks out there as they have vegetable oils in them.

5) Supplements such as protein powder, vital greens, spices such as cinammon or nutmeg etc etc

If I need to thicken the smoothie, I will sometimes add chia seeds. I find that the smoothie also thickens over time with added chia (as they absorb loads of liquid) when I don't drink it straight away.

I generally don't add anymore sweeteners as I do enjoy the taste and sweetness from the greens and fruits already. If I am making this ahead of time for my post-workout meal-drink then I keep it in a thermos bottle. If I make it for breakfast, then I pour it into a reusable tumbler (with a straw) and drink it on the way to work.

My IM Tumbler (a gift from Kona)

No comments:

Post a Comment