Wednesday 5 September 2012

Looking Ahead

My training for half ironman (and full ironman) have been progressing well.

I have improved in my swimming (both speed and endurance) - I have noticed that my strokes are more efficient and I can feel both the catch and the pull of the water on both sides more evenly. Currently attending 3 sessions a week for the last 4 weeks or so.

The riding is something which I need to spend more time on and will need to venture outside of Beach Rd into the hills to build strength. I might add these in on Thursday mornings instead of doing windtrainer sessions...hopefully, we will be heading into Kinglake this month as it is getting close to the Kinglake ride event. Over the weekend, I rode 110km from Mentone through to Port Melbourne - top of Humphries Rd and return. If we are back on Beach rd again this weekend, I will ride another 10km to Mornington before heading back to Mentone.

Running has definitely improved - I am not injured and just over the weekend, I ran 20km (my longest run outside of an actual half marathon event). I did have an issue with my back during the run in that I neglected to stretch it out and only remembered around the 15km mark. Once it was stretched out, I was in pain and slightly immobile for the rest of the day after I rested when I reached home. It has improved as I had a massage on Monday night for my legs as well as my back and shoulders. Looks like massage might need to be added every 2nd week from now on. Running this weekend will be along the beach (not Fairfield) so I will see how I go again. Hoping to run 21-22km this weekend. Used a fuel belt for the first time too on the weekend and it has worked a treat! Handy to have your hydration and nutrition sorted on the run. Will also try to fit in Bikram on Sunday afternoons so I am properly stretched and I reduce my onset muscle soreness which I have been experiencing over the past weeks.

Looking ahead post April 2013, I am looking into what my goal races will be for 2013-2014. I have decided not to race Hawaii 70.3 in June 2013 as I want to take a proper holiday in America/Canada during July 2013. I have also decided to not race Noosa 2013 and concentrate on Port Mac 70.3 in 2013. Noosa this year (2012) will be just a tick in the box and see how much I have improved over the last 12 months and comparing that time with Noosa 2011 - my first Olympic distance race.

My race weight is coming down nicely to 57.6kg (4th Sept). The goal race-weight is still 55kg and looks like I am getting there slowly but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment