Wednesday 4 July 2012

Why I love my bike(s)...

I recently answered a tweet from SheRidesCycling asking women "Why do you ride?"

Well, my answer (albeit cheeky) is pretty much the reason why I spend (most of) my hours with my bottom on a saddle....week in week out. http://sheridescycling.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/112-women-answered-the-call-why-do-you-ride/

I am Number 71. 

Squeek on top of the Felt B2
I am not an everyday commuter - I am a triathlete. Because of my training schedule (I am currently training for my first half ironman 70.3), I have to carry at least 2 bags every day and equipment (a bike, windtrainer, swim toys including flippers etc). On my recovery weeks, I may commute to and from work. This only happens if I manage it in between training sessions that dont require me to start training at 6am.

I actually live about 35km from my work and about 40-45km from Northcote pool where I swim Monday and Wednesday mornings and 25km from MSAC. The distance makes it great if I incorporate it into (bike) training, but a pain as training starts at 6am in the morning and finishes at 8-8:30pm at nigjht. I have commuted to and from work a dozen times or so this year and hopefully will do more in the coming months. For commuting, I have my Diora with Sora groupset which I have named Squeeky.

I don't ride mountain bikes or trails. I tried this once and failed miserably. I have poor bike handling skills and going downhill (even on a road bike) still gives me anxiety. I was going to sign up to do some MTB skills but due to cost and value (do I actually have any time to do any mountain biking along with my training?), I decided to park the biking course aside.

The Italian
As I had mentioned before, I am a triathlete (in my 4th year) and mostly spend my time on the saddle to train to be a better athlete. I have a good road bike - Wilier Imperiale (The Italian)with Campagnolo Chorus groupset, I have two time trial bikes - my Felt B2 with Dura Ace groupset which I am currently selling and my Cannondale Slice 4 with Rival groupset which is still sitting in the shop. I ride The Italian for the hills and long rides in groups. The time trial bike comes out from October onwards for the racing season. I will be bringing it out for windtrainer sessions to get the legs accustomed to the larger 53T chainring (as it has 650c wheels). I enjoy riding my road bike during training especially when we ride through the quiet towns and over the hills. I like to admire the scenery and gives perspective to how lucky we are to live in such a great city.
The Working Girl

On the side, I do have a few non-training bikes (such as my vintage ladies "The Working Girl" and my single speed bike "The Falcon") which I love.

I love that I can just pop on a helmet and ride down to the shops to buy an ice cream during the summer months, I love the days where I take my single speed through Brunswick, Fitzroy, Clifton Hill and Northcote and explore the side streets and check out some nice and quirky houses and cafes. I love how carefree I feel when I am on my fun bikes and it takes me back to my childhood when my brothers and I would cruise our compound (we lived on campus as my dad was a high school principal for remote areas).

I am fortunate to live in Melbourne - it has a better cycling culture compared to Sydney or Darwin. In Melbourne, we have more infrastructure which makes it easier to pedal around in with the single speed.

I don't think I would own so many bikes if it wasn't for triathlon. I guess I do spend so much of my time on the saddle so I can be a better athlete - I want to do well in races but I also enjoy the ability to get from one point to the next with my simple bike(s).


2 comments:

  1. Now, you are sensational! Bikers will truly be envious with those bicycles you have there! Keep the passion burning and always grab for sure success in all those events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment - truly appreciated! X

      Delete