Thursday 19 July 2012

Pilates = Wonderful!

I have been attending the Pilates Reformer classes at MSAC for the last 4-5 weeks now as part of my strength, core and balance training. This is done after a 15-20min weights/resistance session at the gym first.

I attend both the Monday 6pm and Wednesday 6:30pm classes as they are being taught by different instructors, work on different parts of the body and use different types of supplementry equipment.

For those who are not familiar with Pilates (reformer) - it conditions your body to develop flexibility and helps build long, lean muscles, strength and endurance in the legs, abs (core), arms, hips and back. It has improved my coordination, balance and core stability greatly and this is evident as:
  • I am now able to hold a plank for about 80-90sec  (5 weeks ago, the longest time I could hold a (front) plank before my lower back hurts is about 70sec)
  • I am able to balance on one leg and activate my calves (stand on forefoot) without the need to hold on to something for support
  • My lower back requires less stretching out during long runs
  • I am better balanced on the bike and able to hold my core in for longer when we do windtrainer sessions.
  • I have been told that my body positioning is better during swim sessions
On a side note, the Monday classes are great for stretching out tight leg muscles from the weekend's training and I am able to recover at a faster rate. The Monday session can sometimes be difficult if we use paddles as part of the swim session in the morning.

I know there is a Pilates Mat Moves class on the Monday 7pm which uses your own body weight against gravity but it clashes with the Monday PM swim (coaching) which I sometimes take with Mick. Most of the time, I just want to go home, have dinner, pack 3 bags and a bike for Tuesday's multi session training schedule.

I am glad I decided to join the MSAC gym (discount benefits as part of Tri Alliance) as now I am able to utilise the equipment and classes to improve on my triathlon performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment