Monday 7 December 2015

7 Peaks - Dinner Plain (6/7)

First off, I am a pretty stubborn person. Once I have a plan of attack or a current obsession, I don’t let it go easily or change my plans until it is done/task done to death/item purchased.

The latest plan I had was to finish off 6 out of the 7 Peaks challenge before the end of the year, leaving Mt Baw Baw to do in February once I get some training in my legs and mentally prepare myself for the task ahead. My Baw Baw is pretty frightening and I will dwell on this later.

So I had ticked off 5 of the 7 Peaks already last week. The weekend just gone, we had originally planned on staying at Hotham and riding both sides of the climb – Mt Hotham climb whilst the Tour of Bright (ToB) rode the Gap loop on Saturday and on Sunday ride Dinner Plain-Omeo and back whilst the ToB rode the Hotham climb for Stage 3. There was a slight change of plans due to life-commitments so other plans came into play to accommodate.

As I had already done Mt Hotham climb, I decided to just do one big ride for the weekend and to just tick off the Dinner Plain climb (solo) ride of the 7 Peaks . Instead of staying at Hotham, I decided to stay at Omeo. It’s a small town but provided all the amenities such as caravan park which is where I stayed and a bakery for my lunch post ride.

I had a pretty big week in terms of training: weights on Monday and Wednesday, Wattbikes + Altitude on Tuesday, Wattbikes at Art of Cycling (first class) on Thursday 5:30am class and a swim on Friday afternoon. I decided to take Saturday off in terms of training as the drive to Omeo would be a big day.

I left the house at 11:30am on Saturday after packing 80% of my things the night before. I just had a few things to sort out such as my homemade nutrition (RMS, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt) and something new which was dates soaked overnight and blended in the Thermomix. Packed the bike in the car and then it was off I go along Princes Hwy towards Omeo.

I stopped 3 times during my 5 hour drive – for lunch, iced coffee and then just a juice and a stretch of the legs. I got into the Omeo Caravan Park at about 5pm. The basic cabin I had booked was cosy – everything I needed for an overnight stay (needed to bring my own towels and linen) and it had a community shower block which I really didn’t mind. I had a late check out so I only had to pay for one night’s accommodation.

I brought dinner with me as I didn’t feel like heading to the pub by myself, ate it around 8pm and then it was packing my kit ready for my morning ride.
kitgrid

The initial plan was to ride at 6am as the forecasted temp was over 30 for the day but the temperature of Omeo (especially at the caravan park) dropped below 10 overnight and I was freezing. Luckily I not only brought my sleeping bag but I also brought an extra blanket too. I ended up sleeping in a bit as headed out for my ride at 7am instead of 6am.

There was a climb out of the caravan park which warmed up my legs quick. I rode through the main street of the town and then passed the Bakery which is the official start of the 7 Peaks Climb. I was going along pretty good and then I realised that I forgot my heart rate monitor (no big deal), and then I stopped to turn on my rear light for safety as I was on the road by myself. I stopped again during the first climb out of Omeo as I needed to get rid of my arm warmers (so warm!). I struggled to keep my cadence > 45…I knew the gradient was significant, I didn’t want to push so hard so early in the ride especially when it was only 5km in and lastly, my legs were just dead.





The temperature hovered above 20 at this point and I was sweating buckets. I had about a hundred flies as passengers as I climbed and I had to do a bushman’s hanky blow several times to push these flies out of my nose. After the first climb passed Mt. Kosciuszko, there was a soft descent and I knew that I would have to climb this on the return leg. There was a pretty steep descent after another climb and I also dreaded for the return.

Once I had done the first steep climb, the rest of the ride was pretty good. Rolling hills which sapped the energy out of the legs. More flies…

There was another climb you could see from a mile away through the rolling hills. Luckily I could ride at a comfortable pace and cadence. There were a few people descending, I am guessing they rode from Dinner Plain, heading towards Omeo.

There were a few false flats before the final “climb” into Dinner Plain. I was comfortable and even saw a few familiar faces near Hotham Airport. Once I got to the top of the climb, I was relieved. The climb from the caravan park to Dinner Plain took nearly 3:20 which I was pretty happy with (aimed to be below 3:30). I bought a drink and got my 6th stamp at the café, sat down for a little break, then it was a toilet stop and refill of hydration before I headed back down to Omeo.

The official 7 Peaks strava segment - fastest female was around 2 hours. 

I have been pretty consistent with hydration ever since I set my alarm for 15min intervals to remind me to drink at least every 15min and eat every 30min. I tend to go through a bottle of hydration every 2 hours so finishing the climb with only a third of the second bottle meant that I was a bit thirsty than usual.

The temperature hit 34 (as max) on my descent down to Omeo. The country roads are rough so there was plenty of friction that I felt comfortable about speeds > 50km/hr on the descents – they were also pretty straight descents which I could do. There were some gravel parts which shook me at some points but I recovered from them quick.

I hated the steep climbs back towards Omeo – my legs were fatigued at this point and I just kept my focus on heading back to the caravan park. I actually slowed down when I reached Omeo as I wanted to take in the scenery of this small town. Once I got down to the caravan park, I uploaded my garmin data, posted a photo of the ride on Instagram and Facebook (also to let people know that I arrived safely). I then took a shower, checked out of the caravan park and then it was lunch at the Omeo Bakery before I headed back to Melbourne.

I stopped twice on my drive back to Melbourne – once at Rosedale for a toilet break and to check up on my friends’ progress at Busselton (Ironman) and the next at the main servo stop for fuel and early dinner. I also bought 2kg of cherries from the side of the road. I have a weakness of cherries – I could eat cherries until I have a stomach ache.

Now having done 6 out of the 7 Peaks challenge rides, my personal ranking for the rides are as follows:

1) Mt Hotham
2) Falls Creek
3) Mt Buller
4) Lake Mountain
5) Mt Buffalo
6) Dinner Plain


I found Dinner Plain to be more like a long ride on country roads rather than a “climbing challenge”. There were some challenging parts but generally, it was very manageable. Just a long day. I would recommend that others carry 2 full size bidons and not those small ones and there is nothing in between Omeo and Dinner Plain for a top up and it can get hot and sweaty.

I have been pretty lucky in terms of weather for all of my climbs – nothing crazy has been handed to me so far (knock on wood) and I have been staying away from cycling outdoors when the weather has been stupid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment