Friday 5 June 2015

Run Forrest - The Preview

This Sunday (7th June) - I will be doing the Run Forrest 21km trail event. I thought as I am not going to training camp this year (first time in 6 years) that I would still do some training which gets me out of my comfort zone.

The event is held at Forrest (in Victoria) and the 21km will be a tough one as it utilises the mountain bike trails which is usually accessible only by mountain bikers (not opened to walkers/runners). There will be hills, fast descents, rocky tracks on both fire roads as well as single track trails. I am looking forward to this event as it will be more "trails" than my previous trail run (Afterglow Run in Nov 2014). 

There will be a few things which I will take into account:
  • My time will be between 2:30 - 3 hours considering the terrain of this event and my current level of fitness. I will run at a pace I am comfortable with and trying my hardest to not roll my ankles. I also finished the Afterglow run in 2:35.
  • I am going to use my Ultimate Direction running vest for the first time - This is not a "race" so technically, I am not trying anything new...I will report on the pros and cons of wearing a hydration vest compared to my trusty belt.
  • This will be my longest run since January 2015 (2 weeks before Challenge Melbourne). 
  • I will enjoy the scenery as much as I can - I heard it is beautiful out there. 
 
On Saturday (6th), I will ride Beach Rd but I will make sure that I recover well after the ride by soaking in the bay to reduce inflammation and lactic build up. I don't want the same thing to occur on the run as last week.  Once I am recovered, I will pack and head over to Geelong to stay with my parents so that the drive down to Forrest will be about 1.5 hours (rather than 3.5 hours).

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment