Saturday 15 November 2014

1 more sleep!

I won't lie, the nerves are starting to set in with the "event" this weekend. I can't believe that on Sunday, I will be doing a 1.9km swim, 90km ride and a half marathon....

What I find funny is that I have done probably more training within the last few days than I have since I returned from holidays! My swims are coming along fine. I know that I can get through the 1.9km swim. The ride will be something which I just have to "mentally"get through - try not to get bored and lose momentum and motivation. The run will be the most challenging. Running is in no way looking like where it should be leading up to a half marathon. My longest run since Ironman Melbourne is a 15km. I have no idea how I am going to handle my nutrition and hydration on the day. I have been training with a hydration belt and because this is just an "event" for me, I don't know if I should be wearing it on the day or just rely on the course availability.

I arrived in Shepparton on Friday afternoon. I actually left the house around 3pm which is late for the usual. I guess as we don't have a familiarisation swim anymore on the Friday, I decided to take my time. I started to pack for the weekend after my morning massage. I haven't done a triathlon in a while so I stumbled around the house trying to figure out what I actually need on the day.

Once I got all my sh#t together, I drove up to Shepparon and got to my caravan park cabin around 6pm. Challenge Shepparton had their registration opened from 4-7pm but I was too tired once I got all organised.

This morning, we did a small ride, a small run followed by a small swim. The event is very different from the Shepparton races of previous years. The race is no longer around Kialla. It is around Victoria Lake Park. The swim is in Victoria Lake, the water is nice and warm, much clearer than Kialla and doesn't taste as "muddy". The ride is around the back past the town of Toolamba. Depending on the direction of the wind, it may be a long day in the office. The ride this morning was not easy for me. I couldn't keep up with the main group - they were riding 30-35km/hr into the head wind and I didn't want to push myself too much before an event. The ride back into Shepparton was much better. No head wind and we were able to do a few TT efforts.

Did a lap of the lake after the ride. It was a nice run and I am hoping that I will be able to pace myself well to get through 21km.

I am not doing this event for a "time" but I am hoping to stick with my plan of getting through this day so I can recover well enough for my training for the trail run on the 29th and training leading up to Challenge Melbourne.

See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment