Wednesday 30 April 2014

Diiiirty Gran Fondo

So last night I bit the bullet and signed up for my first off road event - the Dirty Gran Fondo organised by Bill Hill Events. I am not leaping into anything too drastic! I am just doing the 35km loop instead of the 60km or the 90km.

Considering that I have just started to ride off road and my fitness is also not quiet there to manage 60 or 90km on fire trails, I will give this a go with my mountain bike and maybe next year, I will upgrade to the 60 or 90km or even ride the CX.

I am estimating that I will be finishing this the same time as the 90km racers (the ones who are racing it instead of doing it as a ride) - the fastest was a World Champ Paul Ven Der Ploeg in 3:21 over 90km.

There are a few things I need to sort out before the 10th May - get my bike fixed. My front suspensions are not functioning 100% - currently I have no suspension on my bike. If worse comes to the worse, I may have to take the CX bike.

There are big climbs so I will need to dig deep and spin my little legs out. Part of the 35km loop still goes through Kinglake National park, I don't know how I will fair with the descents but I will try my best to stay confident.


Mother's Day is on 11th May (the next day), I am travelling to Geelong to do the walk with my mum. She has never done anything like this before. She was originally working on this day (she is an aged care nurse) but decided to take a day off and do this walk with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment