Wednesday 23 January 2013

Consistency, Comfort and Control

With all my training nowadays is done towards my A-Race (Ironman Melbourne) on the 24th March 2013, I have not realised that my next race is coming up very soon - Geelong Long Course on the 10th Feb 2013 (in 18 days).

The coaches have advised me to take this race as a training day and as much as I can, practice my pace/plan for the big race. I am also using this race to refine and correct some of my race strategies. These include:

Practice race nutrition from Start to Finish. During Shepparton, I stopped taking gels with 10km left to go on the run as my stomach had enough of gels for the day. During training, this hasn't been an issue on the bike or the run so far. Race day nutrition also includes what I take in for recovery. Fingers crossed that my nutrition on race day goes well.

Comfort vs Time. I will see how riding without socks will go. During my long rides on Saturday (up to 6 hours so far), I have been riding with socks but during windtrainer sessions, I don't. The blisters are no longer forming so we will see how riding 90km without socks will go. I will do a few rides without socks on Saturday to see what my threshold will be.I have been doing my long rides with knicks on and this is something which I am still sticking to for Geelong. I must remember to take off cycling knicks before putting on running shoes!

Course Familiarisation
A lesson learnt from Shepparton was that I need to be familiar with my transition area from both ends of the rack (rookie mistake). The racks at Shepparton were not labelled on both ends and were not of the same length so I ended up running up the wrong aisle which increased by T2 time by 30-45sec. Small mistake and 30 seconds is not a long time but it adds frustration to an already heart pounding day.

Having done the Olympic distance triathlon there last year, I am ok with the course - the swim is in the bay (saltwater) and it is fairly sheltered. The ride was tricky through the park but I would think to be more manageable on a dry day. The run course is slightly different compared to last year. I am certain that my times will not be faster than Shepparton but hopefully not too much longer.

Training
So far, its been really consistent and I am even surprising myself in this!! Not the consistency part but how I am adapting to it. Last week was Build Week#2 which had double sessions 4 days a week.

Swim - swam (either pool or open water) 4 days a week as part of the first timer Ironman program (I think I may have clocked up 12km)
Bike - Spent upwards of 9 hours on the saddle (on the road and trainer)
Run - Up to 40km running which consisted of a few km off the bike, speed/interval set on Thursday and the strength/endurance set on Sunday

The most important thing (and the one which I am the most grateful for) is that I have recovered from each session well and better than my previous years of training (on a lesser load). Icing and compression of my legs along with regular massages have helped in prevention of injuries.

I admit that I have become (more) anti-social than normal. Most weekends, I have a nap after my long ride (I finish around 10am as I start around 4am), see the family if they need me and then have an early night on Saturday. After Sunday runs, I go straight home to eat, ice the legs and then have a nap to recover before waking up in the afternoon to pack for the next week. I know that without my naps, I will not be fully recovered and be ready to attack the next week's training along with full time work.

Race Weight
Although I am seeing my clothes starting to become loose again (pre Shepparton), my weight has not gone down from 58kg. This is due to the increase of muscle mass (well I bloody hope it is) and I am sure that the scales will start to go back down again the more I train. I am familiar with the pattern as I see it season after season. Race weight goal is still 55kg.

Schedule for the rest of the week - As this is recovery week, we have an optional 7-10km run in the morning with a SBR combo session in the afternoon, endurance swim followed by the Northgroup Breakfast at our favorite post swim cafe Penny Farthing Espresso on Friday. Saturday will be a 140km ride and I have decided to not do the Australia Day swim and follow the program. Why pay $50 to swim 2km (Williamstown)? On Sunday will be the strength/endurance run at Fairfield with Coach Greg and then I will travel to Geelong to be with the family and do some familiarisation training on the Monday (Australia Day public holiday).

Geelong Long Course - 18 days
Ironman Melbourne - 60 days

Feeling very positive at the moment about my life - Work, Friends, Family, Training, Geelong, Ironman!

No comments:

Post a Comment