Friday 29 June 2012

Running through mud - 5km run time trial

Last night was my 2nd 5km run time trial for 2012 around Albert Park lake. Having done a pilates class the night before, my core and legs were were still slightly sore but luckily, that was the only niggle I had for the day. Both my shins and my knees have been good as I have laid off running since Sunday. The inflammation have subsided as I have applied creams, iced and massaged them regularly. The glutes were still tight and that was attributed from tight hamstrings which I need get a proper massage for.

We met outside Lakeside Sports at 6:15pm. Prior to the time trial, Coach Sarah mentioned that the wind conditions were not as perfect as last time and we should not be disheartened with a slower run from the 2km to 4km mark compared to our previous run. When we walked outside and dropped off any excess clothing we had, we could feel both the coldness and the strength of the wind. It was definetly unpleasent. We started our warm up run towards the finish line and then an anti-clockwise 2km run out and back along the lake. We then went into our warm up drills which included strides, knee lifts, butt kicks to loosen up the muscles. My hipflexors were tight but it helped when I did several high kicks and strides.

The long course (10km) athletes started 5min earlier than the short course (5km) group. After the first group departed, we then walked towards the boat shed where the 5km time trial start line was. When the signal was given to start the run, we all started our Garmins for our own records. Once again, the first 1-1.5km was a breeze and I actually ran at a lower cadence but increased the length of my strides. My pace actually went down below 5min/km mark but it wasn't something I could hold on for the rest of the run. I had one of the girls in my squad pass me during the entire run and this occured at the 1.5km mark. Then the 1.5-4km mark was like running through mud due to the heavy winds. Unlike a bike ride where you are able to position yourself (either down on the drops or on the aerobars) to be more aerodynamic -during a run, you can't compromise a good running technique by slouching. It felt harder to lift the legs high and it felt strenous to push the body and arms through the wind. I was grateful with all my work with hill running on Sundays with Coach Greg as they helped to push through the pain of running into the headwind. I really didn't want to look at my Garmin too much and wanted to run on feel rather than with technology. I looked at my Garmin once (by mistake) at the 3.5km mark and it was then that I realised that I could beat my PB of 27min.

At the 4km mark, I saw one of the squad on the side due to an ongoing injury and so after I made sure he was ok (by asking him whilst I ran past), I tried to finish off the last 1km as strongly as I could.  With only 500m to go, I felt my legs becoming heavier and it was hard to increase my speed and intensity. Once again, I felt like I was running through thick mud. When I could see the red blinking lights of the finish line, I took several deep breaths and ran as hard as I could.

I am pleased to say that I finally cracked the 27min mark and ran (according to my Garmin) a 26:14 for my 5km. This is about 45sec improvement which I am ecstatic about. This is slow for most triathletes out there but this is still my personal best.

I will be doing a 10km run in 2 weeks time and that should be a good base for my first 10km time trial. From Run Melbourne onwards, I will be doing a 10km time trial as part of the program. I am pretty sure I am the slowest person out around the lake but it is all about setting my own goals and running to set my personal best times.

Its onwards and upwards from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment