Thursday 10 January 2019

Looking forward in 2019

(EDIT: I had to re-write this as I was not in a clear state of mind)

Today is the 10th day for 2019 (10th Jan). I haven't had a chance recently to write anything about the year that was (2018) and to what goals I wanted to set for 2019. In Australia, we have also had a short holiday over Christmas and New Years and I jumped straight into work on the 7th Jan. I avoided touching my laptop over the holidays, I really needed a break.

Now I am literally killing time (in waiting room), I am taking this chance to put a few words down to what I have achieved in 2018 and what I would like to work on in 2019.

I have written a few times on what I have achieved in 2018 with regards to starting up track cycling but I have also written how I have gone backwards. Compared to previous years, I have gone backwards on travel distances and elevations on the bike due to health changes. To my credit I have not lost the love of cycling which is what I was most worried about. My furthest distance in 2018 was 95km which was one of the days I rode the Festive 500.

Over the 2018 Christmas holidays, I didn't achieve the Festive 500. I started out strong with rides of 70-95km for the first 4 days but then weather played havoc with being too hot or raining. I just couldn't be bothered putting myself through riding through heat or showers, I am no longer in the mindset of "doing things" through all weather. I had achieved the Festive500 twice (2016 and 2017) and only 342km in 2018, which included one mountain bike ride.

I still fight with motivational demons in the morning especially during the winter months but it has made it easier for me to be "active" without being forced to wear lycra and breathe in cold air on the bike since taking up Pilates on a regular basis. My motivation has helped when I have friends who have arranged to ride together as I hate breaking promises or letting people down.

I don't have any events for 2019 lined up but will enter events when they come through. I am continuing with my training with Lead Out Cycling, participating in crits on Sundays before we lose Daylight Savings and I want to do a few off road/mountain-bike/gravel events.

I will continue track training with Melburn Hurt as well as seeing if I can fit in DISC training once in a while. I will not race track as it is not something which I have no interest in. I use track cycling purely as a training tool and up-skilling my abilities. I am going to buy a new mountain bike in the next few months as I am interested in doing a mountain bike event in February (Otways Gravel) and March (Shifty Fifty) and my current bike might not cut it anymore being more than 10 years old.

I have not signed up for Giro della Donna for 2019. I am seeing how my cycling will be during the year and how my body is adjusting to changes. I am going to continue with Pilates as I absolutely love it and something which is not weather dependent. I am currently doing a summer challenge of 20 sessions before 31st Jan and trying to fit it into my training schedule can be challenging. I am seeing improvement in my core and can see where the excess fat around my stomach area sits beyond weak and inactive core muscles.

I know that I will be sick over the winter months that I will be out of action on the bike for weeks, maybe months so will need to keep active as much as possible when I am healthy.

With regards to goals, I would like to be skilled and fit enough to finish with the main pack during crits. This has been challenging as I am still nervous about riding in groups at high speeds AND cornering at the same time.

I am really enjoying crits. They are short events and I do get a great workout and with every event, I am getting better and fitter. My heart rate is still at 165-175bpm as soon as the race is on and I just need to work at increasing my ability to work within that zone for longer. I am not 100% on road racing as the high heart rate combined with how shit I am at hills, I don't have the ability to keep up with the group. I honestly feel like I am going to have a heart attack or stop breathing.

There are crits being organised by SMCC and they continue to race over the winter months so I will continue to race them to improve my skills hopefully see an improvement for the 2019/20 season.

That's it for now. I don't have anything concrete which I am "training" towards. My main aim is to enjoy my cycling journey and just be a better cyclist.

No comments:

Post a Comment